Most professionals, sooner or later, have to deal with non-creative writing, an agglomeration of technique, precision, and research. Writing, in fact, is not only an art but also a profession that requires precise rules and guidelines. That is why there are professionals capable of performing in different styles. In this sense, learning how to write an essay can open up many job opportunities.
Today, in fact, freelance writers have many job opportunities due to the increasing demand for online content. Most of the offers are published online, like myself when I type my paper, on specifically dedicated portals. Suppose it is good to be flexible and available when writing about the most varied arguments, especially at the beginning of a freelance writing career. In that case, it is also advisable to specialize.
The truth is that there are several typologies and job opportunities for freelance writers. Those who are mainly dedicated to the online world create articles for websites, newsletters, and blogs. Generally, these are short texts. The sentences are short, and the paragraphs are very clear. At the same time, they are often asked to pay attention to keywords for good indexing in search engines.
Then, there are the copywriters in charge of convincing readers to perform an action leading to the purchase of a specific product or service. They usually write sales letters and copy for sites that want to develop online marketing businesses. Finally, ghostwriters write articles and essays, providing their clients with complex works on a wide variety of topics. Among their main clients are professors, academics, but also businessmen or politicians.
Table of Contents
What is an essay
An essay is a text that argues a thesis, a problem, or a specific topic. The thesis can be explained and defended or explained and refuted: the purpose of an argumentative text is to persuade the reader of the validity of what is written. Essays may deal with different topics, but they all have the same purpose and more or less the same structure, which consists of stating the argument and proving it, obviously, with variations in the writer’s own style.
Before diving into the writing of an essay, it is essential to seek information and research on the topic to be covered. In addition, the reader must be provided with concrete examples and very solid bibliographical references to support the arguments presented.
Of course, the best documentation is the one found in direct practice: knowing what you are talking about means, many times, having lived or experienced it. Beyond this, it is necessary to inform oneself through official documents, statistics, public information, and other lesser-known sources. Paying attention to the veracity of the sources is fundamental.
In order to argue an opinion, it is necessary to know to whom the text is addressed. In addition, the author of the essay must also be clear about the scope of dissemination of his work: scientific publication, popularization, specialized journal, etc. The thesis must be original, persuade the reader, and demonstrate its arguments by means of striking examples and truthful and valid documentation. At the same time, it is necessary to foresee the possible antitheses and objections in order to be able to explain and refute them.
How to write an essay
In summary, after the choice of topic and the documentation phase, the writing should follow this outline:
- Define the problem.
- State the thesis.
- Explain the arguments in favor of the thesis accompanied by reflections, explanations, and examples.
- State the antithesis and the arguments that support it.
- Refute the antithesis through the use of evidence that confirms the thesis.
Finally, here is a short list of stylistic essay writing tips.
- Use connectives correctly to facilitate the understanding of the text: therefore, consequently, in the first place, in fact, etc.
- Emphasize the reader, i.e., take into account the type of reader the essay is addressed to: age, culture, knowledge, gender, and interests.
- Distancing the author from the thesis. The author should never overload the work with himself/herself but try to take as little prominence as possible unless he/she is not recounting very personal experiences.
- Include brief portions of other texts, such as articles or quotations, that increase the value of the exposition.
- Use appropriate and targeted vocabulary according to the audience and the topic being discussed.
- Take the time to proofread the essay, a task that should be as thorough as possible to identify any errors or inconsistencies.
Companies and professionals in various fields often need to be accredited with the publication of official texts, which must also offer a certain stylistic quality. Since writing is something that many people would prefer not to do or find challenging, there are many opportunities for those who enjoy writing instead.
Finally, people who would be interested in writing an essay and signing their name to it should keep in mind that unknown writers do not have immediate access to the publishing media. However, digitalization has facilitated the dissemination of these works through social networks and resources such as blogs, podcasts, or specialized forums.